Monday 28 October 2013

Steampunk?

When I started to think about the world of Jarmusch Obliterast I knew a few things, and I had my share of unknown ones (and still I do). What did I knew?

-I had this character, a spymaster, a though guy, with a long dusty old coat.
-I wanted to make it in a steampunk setting, mixed with some elements from horror and fantasy stories.
-I wanted to tell his story in chapters or episodes of few comic pages. There would be a underlying plot joining loosely the differents installments, but each chapter would have to be able to be read and understood by a new reader with almost no previous explanation.
-Politics, intrigue, mysteries, adventures... there would be place for a wide range of stories to be told.
-I wanted to have fun with it.

Today, I'm going to center in the steampunk part of the equation. What means steampunk? As I was trying to undertand it, I wanted to go beyond the fancy clothes with gears and pilot-goggles. I wanted to know which was the essence of the steampunk, going back to its origins. As a literary movement, it owes a lot to the works of writers like Jules Verne and H. G. Wells. Science Fiction with a Victorian taste. That was OK, but I needed to deepen more, if I wanted my setting to work. The thing was that once you had left the stories and ideas bare-boned, you found yourself in a world where the concepts of the Classical Mechanics were still applied, no quantum physics. Yes to Newton and Tesla, nothing about Planck. That was something with what I could work.

This way, I decided to build up a world where all devices where still steam-based, a kind of Victorian Age, but not on Earth. A world where man had risen up as the dominant species, and other elder, wiser and more magical races (elves, dwarves, orcs, ...) were in decline or dead long ago. I knew that I wanted magick to be something strange, uncommon to face, not unheard of, but dying as science took over the world. Keeping the basic ideas simple, playing with them, I hope to create a background where the sense of wonder, danger and excitement can take place.

It's somenthing what I'll accomplish, no matter how long it takes.

It'll be a pleasure to share the journey with you, if this appeals to you. Our ship sets sail on the 5th of November.

See you on the other side of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment